Best remote camera for PC viewing please

mckinnell

Can people please advise as to which is the best and also cheapest to mid rage of camera that you fix in the eye piece to afford remote viewing via a PC or laptop ?; being that my mobility is some what afflicted shall we say, and as i get older, will get worse, or so i have been told, to be able to view in this way would be most helpful.

I would state at this point that, i would still do some natural viewing as and when i felt so to do, also, i have noted that, a lot of people out their also take some rather nice/good pictures of their observations and like most here, this is a point i would wish to exploit so hope to get from you lot some varied views and where best to look on the net etc etc.

Many grateful thanks and best regards to all,                 Tom.....  

Hi Tom,

You probably need to investigate EEVA (Electronically Enhanced Visual Astronomy) technics which is also called EAA and check if you will be able to handle all the software involved.

Also decide on the funds you are willing to invest...

Nice, relatively cheap camera to start with is ZWO ASI224MC (around £220), but it depends what Field Of View you wish to have, as camera, just like an EP creates it's own FOV based on the sensor size.

ASI224C will create quite narrow FOV, probably something like 10mm EP.

You can check your FOV with you scope and preferable camera here, in the imaging Mode - http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

I am not into EAA, so I hope someone else will advise a bit better.

RolandKol,  Thanks for the reply my friend; can any one please as an other point, give me the correct search statement to brows for the differing type and product manufacturers so as to at least get a good idea of pricing etc , mono over colour.

Best regards and thanks,                                  Tom.

You can browse any of the astro suppliers/accessories/cameras.

I'd suggest starting with a cheap camera - depending on your definition of 'cheap' - see my signature. This will let you find what you are up against - the reality is not what you may be imagining.  See my recent post in the EEVA section.  I found that with a f5 102mm scope and GoTo I could at least get the target object on screen using GoTo alone, and see something that looks vaguely like the eyepiece views.

While I appreciate that some telescope designs are difficult for those with impaired mobility, I would pose the question: if you are physically capable of setting up EEVA gear, then looking through the eyepiece of a SCT or Maksutov or a small short focus refractor should be no more difficult??  With the former the eyepiece is at the back end in a fairly convenient position and does not move markedly in height.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You can browse any of the astro suppliers/accessories/cameras.

I'd suggest starting with a cheap camera - depending on your definition of 'cheap' - see my signature. This will let you find what you are up against - the reality is not what you may be imagining.  See my recent post in the EEVA section.  I found that with a f5 102mm scope and GoTo I could at least get the target object on screen using GoTo alone, and see something that looks vaguely like the eyepiece views.

While I appreciate that some telescope designs are difficult for those with impaired mobility, I would pose the question: if you are physically capable of setting up EEVA gear, then looking through the eyepiece of a SCT or Maksutov or a small short focus refractor should be no more difficult??  With the former the eyepiece is at the back end in a fairly convenient position and does not move markedly in height.

On another hand, if the set up is permanent, - with EAA he will need to set up once and adjust some things from time to time only...

Tom,

Cheep, is very personal definition... :( especially in "Astro gear" fields... :( 

I am sure you will be able to find some more examples on Google by searching EAA / EEVA or full names...

As per mono vs color... It is another can of worms...

Cheap, - usually Color... But color cam performance depends on your local Light Pollution... I have managed to image with my 224MC from London.

Managed, - does not mean I was really happy with results...

The below, is my first "pancake" from London via 224MC, - It were my first steps in imaging, maybe I would produce something much better now, but Light Pollution is the main Factor.

However, keep in mind, I was not doing EAA, I was imaging in the old fashion way and it looked much nicer on the computer screen initially! :)

Mono, will be always better than Color in terms of sensitivity/quality, but - at the end it will may become much more expensive!

If you will Not be satisfied with a black and white pics and will want to make final image/recording Color - you will need filters (something like £250 (for new) in addition)

Plus filter wheel (again something around £200-400), plus you will have to learn much more software and how to blend different filter/color picture results into one LRGB with Full color range.

Or sell the cam and by the color one.

P.S.

Another way of the "Cheap" option, to look for a second hand cams at ebay or https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/index.php .

if cam will not fit your expectations, you will be able to re-sell it for almost or even the same price bought, with a slight or no loss on postage.

But do not forget to check your Field of View with any camera you choose.

EagleN

Archived