OK this time I am really going to build that observatory

old_eyes

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Old Eyes old fellow, the overwhelming response to your intent to build your own Obs.     is a resounding 'get on with it.' ?. A roll on roll off is a very suitable abode for the job.  Don't skimp on size, just give yourself room to comfortably move around the mount, with walls not too high to block low declination targets.

Good luck with the build, and we're all with you in spirit. Progress reports will be welcome

Ron.

17 hours ago, Cyril said:

Thought you might like to see this, http://www.spacegazer.com/index.asp?pageid=97503

Lovely observatory! I particularly like the use of papier mache as the final layer of your dome. I remember using the PVA glue version with the kids for various 'Art Attack' projects. Once dry it is as tough as nails.

I also like the geodesic dome. I remember making a play house dome out of cardboard packing boxes (we had just moved) about 2 m across. Good fun and surprisingly easy to do.

I am tempted by that kind of dome, but I am more likely to go with a roll-off roof. I want to do astrophotography with the minimum of effort, and the difficulty and cost of automating dome rotation puts me off.

But a lovely project, and a very nice write up.

16 hours ago, barkis said:

Well Old Eyes old fellow, the overwhelming response to your intent to build your own Obs.     is a resounding 'get on with it.' ?. A roll on roll off is a very suitable abode for the job.  Don't skimp on size, just give yourself room to comfortably move around the mount, with walls not too high to block low declination targets.

Good luck with the build, and we're all with you in spirit. Progress reports will be welcome

Ron.

Yes, a blow by blow, warts and all, build thread is planned. It will keep me honest, it is hard to shirk when everyone is watching you, and it might even be useful to fellow sufferers. I plan to record every stupidity, every bad buying decision, every example of mechanical ineptitude, and every shortcut that became a long delay. If nothing else, it should amuse the more competent.

If the rain/sleet/hail ever stops, I'm off to start some site surveying this afternoon ?

CYou don't seem like someone who would quit on the task, you'll get lot's of support, and advice from these guys on here. Should you need it of course.

Once again, onward and upward. ?.

Archived