NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Jupiter (not great, buy hey!)

ChrisEdu

My first shot of Jupiter, taken with a Finepix F601 Zoom through a Meade 400 9.7 eyepiece on a Nexstar 4SE. It's not great, I know, but I'm fairly happy considering the limitations of equipment and position in the sky. Hope to get Saturn later!

post-15252-133877349948_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kev,

I use one of these:- http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=swinivcamadaptor

(from FLO - top of this page).

I find once you set it up (indoors, as it's fiddly in the dark), it works great.

The only thing you have to watch, is if your camera has a zoom lens which moves outwards from the camera, you have to ensure that when the camera and bracket is attached to the scopes eyepiece, you leave enough space between the end of camera and eyepiece, to allow the zoom lens to work. I very rarely use the zoom when "astroimaging" "afocally," as I sometimes find that I get "vignetting" and lose a lot of the field of view.

Regards,

philsail1

Chris, Here are some pics of the adapter in use. In this case, I've attached it to my Intes MK-66 (6" Maksutov). I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of Jupiter and Venus (if the sky stays clear!).

10626_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10627_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10628_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10629_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10630_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10631_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

10632_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

As you can see, there are plenty of adjustments on the "jig" allowing you to fit almost any camera to any telescope. The adapter will fit almost all of the 1.25" eyepieces. The only type of eyepiece this adapter will not fit is a 2" eyepiece.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

philsail1

Yes, it's very good for simple imaging "afocally" with any digicamera. As you might know, your digicamera should ideally have a "Manual" setting, where you can control the shutter speed, and aperture settings.

If you have such control, it is surprising what you can achieve.

Best wishes Chris.

Regards,

philsail1

P.S. there is another version of this kind of adapter. First Light Optics sell it. It's called the "Baader Click Stop." It can cope with 2" eyepieces, and the whole rig can be swung away from the scopes eyepiece, while still attached! I did buy one, but found it a bit too fiddly to use, so I reverted back to the one I still have.

Good work on Jupiter, I have never managed it yet...... ;-)

Was that I still shot with the camera or did you / can you shoot an AVI with your camera. Planets, AFAIK, always work out better if you take an AVI and then stack the frames in Registax.

Keep up the good work mate.........

Gary

Good work on Jupiter, I have never managed it yet...... :)

Was that I still shot with the camera or did you / can you shoot an AVI with your camera. Planets, AFAIK, always work out better if you take an AVI and then stack the frames in Registax.

Keep up the good work mate.........

Gary

Just a single shot on the FinePix F601. It does shoot video, although, I can't remember what format. I was just holding the camera at the eyepiece, trying to keep it as still as possible for the exposure. I really do need to get myself sorted out for taking better quality pictures. I'm either going to get the compact camera adapter or go down the T-mount / adapter for a DSLR route (or maybe both!). I was at least pleased to capture some colour.

Archived