NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Limitation to observing

I live in a part of the world where we are approaching a time when it never gets dark even during the night.

Is there some things that you like to observe also at daytime or is it just as well to put the telescope away for the summer here?

Also have you any experience with very low temperatures in the winter?

Minus 15-20 C° or less.

You can scratch that itch with double stars, the moon and planets. The planets might be a bit low  this year (I assume you are pretty far north). Also, you could get an appropriate sun filter and view sunspots in white light. 

I actually have a month off around the longest days- it makes August all the better.

What's your latitude?

Mine is 52°. Midsummer isn't the best time for galaxies, but it take it like Domstar.

About viewing in the cold, from this youtube channel you get an idea of how that works: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn3npsPixgoi_xLdCg9J-LQ. Personally, I don't observe below -5°C, but for a good comet I'd brave -10° or more.

Ouch, 64° North! That sounds like lovely long but seriously cold nights in the Winter and lots of mosquitoes in the Summer.

For an expert opinion, check out if there's any local amateur club in your region. They're bound to have some tips for prospective amateur observers.

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

Ouch, 64° North! That sounds like lovely long but seriously cold nights in the Winter and lots of mosquitoes in the Summer.

For an expert opinion, check out if there's any local amateur club in your region. They're bound to have some tips for prospective amateur 

That is in the middle of Norway ?

Winter here is usually between minus 5 to plus 10 near the coast.

In the mountains there are mosquitoes, but not in the citys.

Trondheim is not exactly the wilderness you know ?

Archived