Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any ASCOM AWR experts on board?

Rusted

Is anybody here familiar with AWR or ASCOM?

I am perplexed by slews, Gotos and Home/Parking slews which always insist on going north of the pier. [EVERY SINGLE TIME!] :cussing:
Even if it is just a short slew between two southerly objects selected on the D-Du-C screen the mounting instantly heads off the wrong way!!
Is there some setting which will prevent this from happening on a GEM?

Otherwise it seems to track objects and drives on both paddles exactly as expected. Often for hours on end.
I built the entire mount myself and have IH2, ASCOM[AWR] Goto drives with C-Du-C via a serial lead.

I Sync regularly on tracked objects and still have to reset the AWR Park coordinates every single time I want to use them.
[After manually driving the telescope to horizontal E + weights down which takes literally minutes every time.]
I try to move to the South Easterly Sun from Easterly parking and it goes the wrong way again! :cussing:

The ASCOM. Help. io forum is nothing but abstruse software discussions so I can't really ask there. :icon_clown:
The AWR Instructions Manual is not proving any help on this subject either. 
Far too long and complex to solve specific problems no matter how many times I have read it end to end.
I have the AWR "Factory" and "Basic" Menus printed out on A4 in the dome as crib sheets to save time.

Can anyone help? I have deliberately asked here to field more experts than is likely on the DIY forum.

Thanks

Not an expert. But an AWR drive user.

I have a vague recollection of seeing this sort of problem a few years aback, but can't remember the details, or how I sorted it. Sorry.
It was possibly something related to approach direction being specified.

Yes I have seen this problem recently. I did not investigate because it showed just before I started a mount strip for maintenance.
This is still in progress.

I guess there are two immediate questions.

Are you using the latest firmware in the handset?
Have you dropped an email to AWR?

Hopefully someone more helpful and informed than me will be along shortly.

David.

23 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Not an expert. But an AWR drive user.

I have a vague recollection of seeing this sort of problem a few years aback, but can't remember the details, or how I sorted it. Sorry.
It was possibly something related to approach direction being specified.

Yes I have seen this problem recently. I did not investigate because it showed just before I started a mount strip for maintenance.
This is still in progress.

I guess there are two immediate questions.

Are you using the latest firmware in the handset?
Have you dropped an email to AWR?

Hopefully someone more helpful and informed than me will be along shortly.

David.

Hi David and many thanks for your very useful response.

My AWR system is only a couple of years old from new. Feb '17.
Alan sent me a new chip for the Drivebox not long ago but I've heard nothing new for the IH2 handset.

Whoops! I just checked my startup screen.
Showing 1.738 [not even listed on the website] so several updates behind. 1.741 was released only yesterday.

Thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup: I had no idea the handset was periodically updated until now.

I'll give that a try first and go on from there. Fingers crossed it solves the problem. I was blaming C-Du-C.

Thanks to David I am now very much the wiser on AWR IH2 updates.

In case anyone else has an AWR IH2 drive system I [finally] found the IH2 upgrade instructions on page 61 of 70 in the AWR IDS manual.

Update history and the latest files for download can all be found under Customer Support on the AWR website.
It pays to keep an eye on the website to monitor for regular updates.

Both the latest update file and the APP loader should be downloaded to the relevant PC or Laptop.
Unzip the SREC file before proceeding and have both the APP and the SREC in the same file.

The Bootload screen is available by simultaneously pressing buttons 1&2 and Reboot.  
An AWR serial/USB cable will be required and preferably a printout of the instructions accessible.
I would not suggest one attempts the update without the instructions.
There are specific steps for which one would be quite unlikely to know what to do in advance.

Archived