Rosette to Cone in Ha

Finally managed to get back to some proper imaging over the last few days on a trip to Cornwall, after a long break. Here's a quick image of the Rosette to Cone in Ha. This is 46 minutes of data in 2 minutes subs, with the Samyang 135mm f2 and modded 1100D with clip-in Ha filter. Just a quick process in StarTools (HDR, Shapen, Magic) and Canon DPP (curves, de-noise). No darks or flats, I did try taking flats but (as usually happens for me) they were over-correcting so I restacked without them.

Really pleased with this for quick image, I like working with Ha data as it's so (comparatively) easy to process. I also have almost 3 hours on the same target without the Ha filter but I'm having trouble stacking it. I've also cleaned out my 1600MM cool after one of the desiccant tablets exploded when I screwed it back together, so I hope to get back to using it in the Autumn.

Rosette and Cone Ha.JPG

Looking again at the image, I notice some diffraction spikes on the brightest star in frame. I guess I must have accidently stopped down the lens to f2.4 or f2.8, easily done as the lens was wrapped in a sock with a heat pack in it to keep the dew off. A bit of a shame as I'd have liked more signal on the faint stuff.

Archived