NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Pleiades with my new setup

Space Oddities

Hey all :) 

Last night I tested my new setup: a TS Optics 60mm f/6 scope, and a 2nd hand Fujifilm X-A3. They're both an upgrade from my Canon 300mm lens (better focusing and performances) and Fujifilm X-T1 camera (more megapixels and a Bayer sensor, which is much easier for astro!)

I went outside the city to escape light pollution, and the sky was amazing! The seeing was good, but not perfect, the weather quite cold.

Originally, I wanted to have a go at the Flaming Star nebula, but for some reason I couldn't find it. Turns out my red dot finder was misaligned, but I didn't see it in the dark... Another stupid mistake that teaches a lesson!

So as a backup plan, I made pictures of the Orion nebula, which is easier to find. But I did another stupid mistake, and left the ISO in auto mode... On Fuji cameras, the icon for auto ISO also includes the max ISO that will be used (in that case, 800), but I just saw the "800", not the "auto" ? So my camera had a lot of fun guessing the exposure during almost an hour, and I end up with lots of subs from ISO 320 to 800 ? I'm not sure I can use them, but I'll give it a try.

So after feeling really stupid, as a backup plan to my backup plan, I decided to make a few pictures of the Pleiades. This time with a normal ISO (1600) to see what this little camera could do.

Here's the result! :)  

FInal_v02.thumb.jpg.aff3fb01ea04165bd1417f11bcede1bb.jpg

Fujifilm X-A3, TS ED 60mm f/6, iOptron Skyguider Pro
Lights: 30x40s @ ISO 1600, Darks: 30
Stacking in DSS, processing in Photoshop and Astronomy Tools

What do you guys think? :) 

Removing the noise was difficult, I was surprised of the amount. That's definitely something less present on the X-T1, due to the X-Trans sensor. But I guess that with more subs and darks, that's something that could be improved. 

Let's see!

Archived