Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

February 26, 2019: Quick session from a dark site with Comet C/2018 Y1 Iwamoto

Drove over to the dike by Aduarderzijl, a lovely dark location only 15 minutes drive away. I had considered bringing the C8 in the car, but decided it would be too much hassle, as it was already 22:30. I therefore just took the Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars. Getting out of the car I just gasped at the stunning night sky. My own suburban garden isn't bad, but here I could follow the Milky Way almost all the way to the horizon, and M44 just jumped out at you. I climbed up onto the dike, aimed the bins at M101, which I often use for testing sky quality, and a large fuzzy disk could be seen easily. It even held up nicely in direct vision. M51 was easier still, and M81 and M82 just jumped out at me. I had done quick attempt from home, and both M81 and M82 were far less obvious there (although still easy enough). From home I had also tried and failed to get M65 and M66 in Leo (lower in the sky, in an unfavourable position in terms of LP from the city centre). Here, they were easy. I tried M31, which was very low in the sky, but clearly showed a dust band, along with M32 and M110. I then swung the bins to Auriga, to look for Comet C/2018 Y1 Iwamoto. This had eluded me from my garden a number of times, so it was really the main reason for driving over.  I located M36 and M38 easily, moved a bit north, but still keeping them in the FOV, and right at the position it should be according to my maps I spotted a distinct, elongated fuzzy ball, even in direct vision. In averted vision, hints of a tail could be spotted. After a little war dance on the dike, I swung the bins around to M37, and for good measure picked up M34 and M35, and of course M42, M43, M44, and M45, just to have a few nice little Messier sequences (missed out on M41). I swung the bins back to the comet, and just marvelled at how dead easy it was from this dark site, whereas at home it kept eluding me. I had a quick look at M65 and M66 once more, and turned to another favourite in Leo: NGC 2903, which showed up really brightly. I must bring the big scope to this dark site during galaxy season one of these days. After a farewell look at the comet, I drove back home and celebrated my 23rd comet with a tot of Oban 14 y/o.

10 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Getting out of the car I just gasped at the stunning night sky

I have a ob site in the Mourne Mountains, has the same effect when I get a chance to visit. 

Archived