Uranus And Other Treats Before Mealtime

cloudsweeper

5.40pm, fairly clear, some thin cloud - worth setting up the ED80 Apo for session no. 13 this year, before mealtime (and a glass or two).  

Mars was a great place to start (and check the finder alignment) - then a hop to Torcular (Pisces), and on to Uranus with great ease.  I took the mag from x40 in stages to x160.  The planet was very sharp, ever so slightly bluish, and seemed to get magnified a little at x160 compared with nearby stars.

M45 was the next target - seeing it all beautifully framed in a 4+ degree FOV was lovely, with stars of varying brightness, and the fine asterism Ally's Braid running down from near Alcyone.

Again enjoying the widefield view, I took in the whole of Orion's Belt, with lots of stars at higher magnitude than Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka.

An hour well spent with largely widefield views and crisp star images, courtesy of the new frac - turning out to be a very satisfactory purchase!

Doug.

Yes it is most strange, we normally have very clear but very cold nights through December and January. I can't say I've seen a clear night since mid November really. Yesterday and today we have had the heating off during the day which is unheard of. Anyway it is good to see someone has some clear sky, something makes me think we will pay for this warm start to Feb though.

Alan

Archived