NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making a decent EP box - pluck foam etc.

JOC

So I was rooting around yesterday and came across a rather dust-filthy metal box with a bit of dust and few old screws etc. knocking around in it in one of our sheds.  I ascertained it belonged to Bro. but clearly it had received no use for ages, he was still loath to give it up ("it's a good quality box Sis") until I told him that I could see it holding telescope EP's (he rather likes the telescope), well that was it, I was to have the box and use it for my telescope EP's - apparently "just the sort of thing the box was made for Sis".  So I bought it inside and scrubbed it clean and ended up with this:.  Internally the base measures about 43.5cm  x 31.5cm x 8.5cm and the top measures 43.5cm x 31.5 x 4cm.  At the moment it has some sort of harder foam lining it which looks like it could take dividers in the base.

open sm.jpg

closed sm.jpg

The foam is a bit grubby, but I am sure I have seen people write about filling these boxes with 'pluck' foam or other types of foam and using them for EP's.  I recall I may have looked at pluck foam once noted it was a bit pricey.  However, this seems a box purpose provided for making into a nice EP case, it has solid aluminium sides - not plastic, decent corners and a reinforced hinge, which is held open at the vertical position with square loops around the hinge at the back and I think it could be a high quality 'flight case' or similar (it also still has it's keys!).  It is quite large - is there any way of getting a double layer usefully into the base - or do people tend not to bother?  

Anyhow, it needs filling - I'd welcome suggestions on the most economic supply of foam, is small plucks easier than big plucks, is it better to go for foam layers and cut holes in the top layer etc.   I know lots of folks are experts with this sort of thing, and I'd sooner take advice and not waste cash.  Cheers

I did just the same with an old Jessops branded case that looked very similar to yours. I used pluck foam (small block) which I got from an e.bay seller but I can't recall which one because it was a couple of years back. The foam block was less than £10 which seemed decent value. I bought one that was as close to the case dimensions as possible but a little oversize then took a little off the edges to get a snug fit. My case did already have foam in the lid which holds the eyepieces in place - I use shallower depressions with this top pressure. You might need to make deeper and tighter holes for the eyepieces without the foam in the lid. Here is the result of my efforts:

epsone0119.JPG

Glee!  The postie's just been and I've got a box of foam!  ? 

Now what do I do about the responsibility of deciding what to put where?  Do I assume that I'm going to complete the set of Morpheus one day and leave room for them?  Do I put just my best EP's in the smartest box and do one of my lesser original boxes for 'lesser' EP's then if so how do I decide which are the better ones to put in the better box.  Do I also do one box for non-EP bits and bobs like T-rings and adapters.  I've got pluck foam now for all the boxes so it's now decision time - I think this is the hardest bit, as once the foam is plucked I guess it's plucked!

6 hours ago, chaz2b said:

Unplucking your plucked foam use double sided tape, there’s a plucking good tip!

I not a turkey plucker, I'm a turkey pluckers mate, I'm only plucking turkeys 'cos the turkey pluckers late.

In actual fact I'm actually really good at plucking turkeys LOL

It's funny that you should mention unplucking the foam.  At the moment I've got all the bits in a bag - I thought they'd make good packaging for things like packing sold EP's if nothing else.  Anyhow, I've done some boxes and added pictures to the show me your eye case thread ?

Archived