Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging M31

With a 8" sct and a Meade DSI would i be able to image all of M31 or would i need a focal reducer if so which one would i need.any help or advice at all would be helpfull because i haven't got a clue about imaging,i have had a go at M13 but not with much success

Thanks Tez

You'd do better using either of the other two 'scopes in your sig. M31 is huge so your long focal length (2000mm?) and relatively small chip size you will struggle. If either of your other 'scopes is f/5 it'll work a lot better. Something like a 135mm camera lens is needed to fit it on the chip, plus they're cheap on e-bay and you can get T thread mount ones.

Kaptain Klevtsov

If you google "Ron Wodaski's CCD Calculator" you can download a application that will give you a idea of the FOV you will have for any given scope / ccd combination.

HTH

Thanks for that,thats one great program,but now i will have to look for a new camera(££££)or another scope,camera lens.

Well you learn something all the time with this hobby

Thanks Tez

Thanks for that,thats one great program,but now i will have to look for a new camera(££££)or another scope,camera lens.

Well you learn something all the time with this hobby

Thanks Tez

Or, you could find a target that fits what you have. Always a cheaper option, and you get used to the kit. Some of us (me definitely!) tend to take a target as an excuse to add to the shopping list and thereby neglect getting on and imaging with what we have. Thats a very expensive way to go about things, I have a T shirt.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Yep i suppose i need to learn the night sky a bit more and find out where there are some targets i can image ,the only thing is that i have a very limited view from my back yard so can only view certain things.Too many trees and immovable objects like my house witch is a bit of a pain,i think some of the trees need to have the chop,anyway thanks for the help

Cheers Tez

Archived