Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Early Evening 17/1/2019

Astro Imp

Well this is a shock!!! two consecutive nights viewing.
Went out just as it was getting dark.
Viewed mostly with 12mm eyepiece giving 100x. The seeing was a bit wobbly, probably not helped as I had to view over neighbour's house.
Started in the southern highlands, Schiller was very prominent and easily identified by its elongated shape. Had a look around this very congested area of craters, so much there I didn't identify them all.
Moved slowly north to Gassendi which was showing splendidly, easily picked out the central mountains but it wasn't 'til I came in I realised there are a  series of rilles in the floor, must look for these next time out.
Interesting that north of the Gassendi complex are two much damaged craters, Lettronne and Flamsteed. I spent some time looking at these two interesting formations.
Kepler was looking splendid surrounded by it's rays.
I was hoping to observe Aristarchus/Herodotus together with Schroter's valley but Aristarchus was only just emerging into the early morning light.
I finished by observing Sinus Iridum.
I'm afraid by now I was so chilled I called it a night. The wind really was biting by now and my warm sofa seemed too appealing.
Thanks for reading.
Hope you all managed some observing and look forward to reading your reports.

Archived