NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Caldwell 58

elpajare

Caroline Herschel discovered this cluster on February 26, 1783, and included it in her list as No. 2. This cluster was her first original discovery of a deepsky object. Her brother William included it in his catalog as H VII.12.

This attractive cluster is bright, large, rich, and moderately compressed with at least a hundred 10.5 to 13th magnitude stars visible in a 12' area. It has a total visual magnitude of 7.2. The western half is more star-rich and concentrated than the eastern half, in which are several conspicuous star-vacancies. To the south the cluster merges gradually into the Milky Way background, but on the north a long meandering star chain extends NE and then curves north.

NGC 2362 lies some 6150 light years away. (Skysafari)

TSOPTICS + RISINGTECH IMX178

10X20" +DFC+Risintech software

CALDWELL 58 NGC 2360 OC CANIS MAJOR 10X20 TSOPTICS+IMX178.jpg

Thank you both for your kind comments on C 58

Caldwell 58 is NGC 2360! There is indeed an error in the Skysafari information on this object and I have not reviewed it, I have made a copy-paste. Maybe in a next edition they will correct it.

I use Startools to edit my photos and I do not know any special option of this program to increase the color except to increase the saturation. I think I'll have to settle for the current colors ..

If you want to try the retouching of this photo with Photoshop and share the result could be very interesting ..

Archived