Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation

On 29/01/2019 at 16:44, kippford said:

I got home a couple of hours ago to a clear sky. No time to cool down a telescope, so I went out with binoculars and saw the orion nebula for the first time in my life.

It was just a smudge, but a smudge I have been longing to see.

It may be cloudy here most of the time but when it clears up it is amazing.

I am so glad I moved here away from all the light pollution.

Did you get your Heritage 130 collimated?

they are great scopes and will show M42 superbly, I'm going out with ours in a bit for some frigid (lol!) -40c observing. The supplied 25mm Super plossl works well and I must say, nice choice of scopes!

When viewing M42 with this scope there is not much need for cooldown IMHO and if you havn't sorted the collimation out there is a simple method, finishing with the cheshire.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, jetstream said:

Did you get your Heritage 130 collimated?

they are great scopes and will show M42 superbly, I'm going out with ours in a bit for some frigid (lol!) -40c observing. The supplied 25mm Super plossl works well and I must say, nice choice of scopes!

When viewing M42 with this scope there is not much need for cooldown IMHO and if you havn't sorted the collimation out there is a simple method, finishing with the cheshire.

I think I did. I only managed a peek through a hole in the clouds a few days ago. There seemed to be 2 0r 3 stars. Throught the telescope, there were dozens of tiny pinpoints of light.

The weather has been far too cold for me recently though so I have not been out with it again.

-6.6c at the momment and falling.

6 hours ago, kippford said:

I think I did. I only managed a peek through a hole in the clouds a few days ago. There seemed to be 2 0r 3 stars. Throught the telescope, there were dozens of tiny pinpoints of light.

The weather has been far too cold for me recently though so I have not been out with it again.

-6.6c at the momment and falling.

Great that you got it working!

yes, best to wait until conditions improve before going out and once they do I'm eagerly waiting your reports, these telescopes have quite a following actually. They show the moon really well too, what eyepieces do you have?

18 hours ago, jetstream said:

Great that you got it working!

yes, best to wait until conditions improve before going out and once they do I'm eagerly waiting your reports, these telescopes have quite a following actually. They show the moon really well too, what eyepieces do you have?

I heard the supplied eyepieces were not great so I bought some random ones . I got a BST StarGuider 60º 25mm ED, a BST StarGuider 60º 5mm ED and a Vixen slv 9mm.

I have no I dea when or if I will get a chance to use them.

Archived