Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Soul Nebula in H-alpha

Altais

Hi everyone.

Here's an image of the Soul Nebula that I captured last night.

soul_nebula.thumb.png.5957c5797ebb0868635c90f6bfd983e9.png

It's the first image I've taken with my new iOptron CEM60 mount, and I love it so far. The guiding accuracy is a massive leap up from what I was able to do with my EQ5. This is also the first time I've remote controlled the imaging process, which was a very pleasant new experience (apart from the occasional technical glitch). Now I just have to build a robot that can set up the equipment for me, and this hobby will do itself..

I used my modded Canon EOS 1100D with an H-alpha filter and a SkyWatcher Explorer 150 PDS. The image consists of 41 exposures of 400 seconds each, at ISO 1600. All processing was done with PixInsight. It could still use some more data, but I'm quite happy with the result considering that is is only one night and with a full moon.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. :)

Clear skies,

Lars

On 25/11/2018 at 22:15, Allinthehead said:

Looks great Lars?Just need to double that integration time. 

Thanks Richard. As a matter of fact, I was able to triple it. Had a good long night of clear skies the other day, so I got an additional 8.5 hours of exposure. Here is the result:

2056103347_soul_nebula(1).thumb.png.309dd372bba573401fb8251ecccb6694.png

(For some reason I prefer this orientation now...)

Archived