Getting Started with Imaging, advise please

Richard SA

Hi, trying to get my astrophotography / imaging setup. Mount options are either the Celestron AVX, the Sky-Watcher EQ5 Pro or HEQ 5 Pro. Scope ideally would be the Sky-Watcher 120ED or the 100ED. Another option would be the William Optics Zenithstar 73 APO.

My budget could be as high as the most expensive mount and scope, but for imaging, maybe it would be the most expensive mount and 2nd most expensive scope?

I'm looking for the best mount and best scope combination (taking into account weight required for guide scope, DSLR camera etc.) so any guidance would be appreciated.

I would really recommend that you consider the mount as being the most important component in an imaging system. I would urge you to bypass the EQ5 and move right along to the HEQ5 as the minimum mount choice. I would also suggest that you keep to shorter focal length refractors. At the budget end, a Sky-Watcher 80 ED with field flattener/reducer would be a great place to start or if the budget will stretch to it, a Sky-Watcher Esprit 100 with field flattener would be excellent.

Good luck with your venture.

Steve is too modest to say it - so I will say it - buy Steve's book 'Make Every Photon Count' - it will save you a lot of money, grief, frustration and heartache and will most likely be the best £20 you ever spend in this hobby!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html?quickview=1#about_this_product

Archived