M42 - Ha and a 98% moon!

Adreneline

Well you've got to do something on a clear night even if the moon is only just out of the image.

This is 8x60s + 8x120s + 8x180s + 8x300s + 8x600s. Each set pre-processed separately in PI, StarAligned and edge cropped, and then all five images combined with HDRComposition and then 'tamed' with HDRMultiscaleTransform to pull out the detail and LHE applied to improve the contrast a little. No noise reduction at any stage.

All taken with my Samyang 135mm + Atik428ex + Baader Ha filter.

Just need an equally clear moonless night now to get some OIII.

859700837_M42-HDR_cloneHTHDRMLHEPS.thumb.png.08aac4c1910336e6fe7d0257aa25152b.png

Tried imaging the same target with the Samyang 85mm on an Atik414osc expecting to achieve nothing of value - expectation was realised!

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

That looks awesome. If you'll add more data to smooth it out it'll be a bomb. I just noticed that in the top left corner stars look out of focus, is it possible that part of your lens got fogged up? 

1 hour ago, john2y said:

I just noticed that in the top left corner stars look out of focus, is it possible that part of your lens got fogged up? 

That is entirely possible - my lens heater doesn't fit too well around the mount - I need to come up with a better arrangement.

Glad you like the image - I resisted applying any noise reduction on the original.

This is the same image with minimal smoothing in PS - accepted more data would help - so would no moon!

1856058222_M42-HDR_cloneHTHDRMLHEPS_Dfine.thumb.jpg.faffe57c0019e464033fd6e826c944c3.jpg

Thank you for your comments.

Adrian

Archived