NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Synscan Handset Holder

I am part way through fettling a Skywatcher 10" dob.

When supplied, it had the basic handset and has at some point been upgraded to a GOTO handset.
The original handset bracket is of course too small for the new handset and a bracket does not seem to be readily available.
OK I could have used a bit of velcro. But I thought a 3D printed bracket might do the job better.

The attached photos show the prototype bracket. The screw holes match those already on the mount and the handset just drops in.
I suppose I should make the finished item in  black or white to match the mount.

The OBJ file can be opened using windows 3D viewer, or similar to get an all around look.

A rainy afternoon spent doodling on the computer.

David.

Handset Holder-4.obj

DSCF6892.JPG

DSCF6893.JPG

Edited by Carbon Brush

• 1 year later...
On 28/10/2018 at 16:14, Carbon Brush said:

I am part way through fettling a Skywatcher 10" dob.

When supplied, it had the basic handset and has at some point been upgraded to a GOTO handset.
The original handset bracket is of course too small for the new handset and a bracket does not seem to be readily available.
OK I could have used a bit of velcro. But I thought a 3D printed bracket might do the job better.

The attached photos show the prototype bracket. The screw holes match those already on the mount and the handset just drops in.
I suppose I should make the finished item in  black or white to match the mount.

The OBJ file can be opened using windows 3D viewer, or similar to get an all around look.

A rainy afternoon spent doodling on the computer.

David.

Handset Holder-4.obj 62.72 kB · 39 downloads

David I hope you don't mind but I've just downloaded your design and fired up my 3d printer. This one is destined for my the permanently mounted setup (fed up with the controler just hanging by its cord).  I was just about to start my own "doodling" to design one when I thought I'd better do a quick search first, somebody has bound to have solved this before :)   You have saved me some time, thanks for sharing the file. 

Jim 

6 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Hi Jim.

I don't at all mind you downloading the file. That is what it is for!

If you want to edit, then I can provide a file in SKP (sketchup) or STL format.

David.

David that would be great if it isn't too much trouble. I'm mounting it on a flat surface (Square pier) so I was going to cut off the rectangular standoff on the rear of your bracket. Im using Fusion so an STL file would be great. 

Jim