Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary nebula M1-79

iansmith

Hello All, 

My first image of the season is the tiny planetary nebula in Cygnus called M1-79 (M for Minkowski). I have only seen a very few amateur images of this object but it does feature in various professional papers should you want to look it up. The data was collected over September for the most part, 12x1200s in Ha and 12x1200s in O3. Stars and Nebula have been processed separately. Ha and O3 were combined as follows: red: 100% Ha; green 50% Ha and 50% O3; blue 100% O3.

Equipment: Edge HD11 with Celestron's 0.7 focal reducer, Atik 414EX camera, ONAG guiding with Ultrastar guide camera, Astrodon 3nm filters in Ha and O3.

M1-79_x2_Insert.thumb.png.67b6cbcb9232fb30d1774542c5aeeb55.png

The insert shows M1-79 at x2 magnification. I hope you like it, C&Cs welcome.

Cheers, Ian

13 hours ago, MartinB said:

Completely new one to me so thank you for sharing.  It looks a bit weird - very bright.

I may have overdone the colour saturation which may make it look too bright. It's certainly not the usual shape for a PN, although it is clased as a bipolar PN.

The two arcs on either side are very faint and I have deliberately brightened them so they can be seen.

Cheers, Ian

Archived