NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Andromeda: HaRGB Video and pictures

widotje

Hi folks,

I spend a couple of nights trying to photograph Andromeda and also made a video out of it, you can check it out here:

Had to fight light pollution and clouds so the end result is not perfect.

Just a quick overview:

asi1600pro camera

40* HA 10 min exposures

40*lum 5 minute exposures

40&RGB 5 minute exposures

I think I stretched the image a bit too much, but I like to see the outer edges of the andromeda galaxy as well...Perhaps i have to stretch less and work on a smoother version...

Tips are welcome!

HA/LRGB combined

halumrgb_15hours171050.jpg

HA/lum combination

HAlum_10uur122457.jpg

What struck me the most in the early part of the video was the number of planes that fly by your area.  Wow--hopefully they drop off at night.  Very nice presentation--nice kit!

One thing I noticed, you have your counter weight at the end of the shaft.  According to the guys as Astro-Physics, and the principles of mechanics/physics, this creates a huge inertial moment arm that the mount has to overcome.  Its far better to have more weight (allot more) right up against the mount, and use a small weight to fine tune down low.  This makes it easier for the mount to guide well.  If you go to the Astro-Physics web page (the mount and scope maker), you will find a diagram that explains this far better than I can.  

Thanks for taking the time to make this.

Rodd

5 hours ago, Rodd said:

What struck me the most in the early part of the video was the number of planes that fly by your area.  Wow--hopefully they drop off at night.  Very nice presentation--nice kit!

One thing I noticed, you have your counter weight at the end of the shaft.  According to the guys as Astro-Physics, and the principles of mechanics/physics, this creates a huge inertial moment arm that the mount has to overcome.  Its far better to have more weight (allot more) right up against the mount, and use a small weight to fine tune down low.  This makes it easier for the mount to guide well.  If you go to the Astro-Physics web page (the mount and scope maker), you will find a diagram that explains this far better than I can.  

Thanks for taking the time to make this.

Rodd

Great advise Rod, I've had some trouble guiding lately, so this might be it. Thanks!

Really enjoyed the video, nice bit of cinematography ?

The AVX is a great mount isn't it. I have an EQ6 as well as the AVX and the AVX is soooo much nicer to listen too LOL! The EQ6 sounds like someone making a cake when it slews ?

Oh! and the pictures are very nice too!! ?

David

On 13/10/2018 at 20:59, David_L said:

Really enjoyed the video, nice bit of cinematography ?

The AVX is a great mount isn't it. I have an EQ6 as well as the AVX and the AVX is soooo much nicer to listen too LOL! The EQ6 sounds like someone making a cake when it slews ?

Oh! and the pictures are very nice too!! ?

David

Fortunately, my next door neighbour is in his 70s and almost deaf, so he doesn't mind the slewing noise of the avx. It always reminds me of my coffee machine...

14 hours ago, graemlourens said:

Very nice video and shot!

Amazing what you were able to pull out in a residential area with so many lights around you! :)

Kind regards, Graem

Thanks Graem, I was surprised as well. Still, I need to get out of town one day. Closest area for me would be the Ardennes, a few hours driving from Holland. 

I enjoyed the video!  You obviously have a lot of light pollution to contend with.  The luminence looks great but the colour is a bit off to my eye, quite red in the middle, cyan in the outer regions along with some desaturated areas.   Whenever I've imaged M31 my first go at processing has always produced some freaky colours, I think it is very hard to get the colour right even when your data is good so keep persevering!  Not sure about giving so much time to Ha.  There are plenty of specks of Ha nebulosity within M31 but the galaxy is predominantly broadband so Ha won't be as useful as broadband luminence.  Nice use a bit of Ha though, to pick out those red specks.  I bet if you keep playing the colour can be knocked into shape!

Archived