Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binocular mount accessories

Astronut

I've got a pair of big binos on the way (courtesy of Steve @ FLO) and I'll be mounting this 10lb+ weight on a Manfrotto 503HDV head on top of a Manfrotto 028B tripod. The head might be overkill (a 501 would be sufficient) but I like the idea of a bit of overhead if I ever invest in even bigger binos later.

I'm just wondering if I need any more accessories for this combo eg. quick release plate or extension post for the binos central bar bolt.

I've got a feeling the bolt on the bar may not be long enough to attach to the head without sufficient clearance between head and binos.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Good decision on the mount and head. You could do with a 1" spacer piece like we talked about on Sunday. I'm sure someone can turn you one up quite easily.

You should get a quick release plate with the head.

Which Bino have you gone for?

I see the pound fell again :crybaby:

Argonaut.

Hi Glen. I reckon the pound must be at an all-time low or close to it at least - not good at all :)

I had a good long think yesterday and after weighing up the pros and cons of importing (especially the extra costs, low currency exchange rate and waiting time involved) verses an easy return if somethings not right, I had a nice chat with Steve(FLO). I've got a good deal on the Helios Apollo 22x85. :thumbright:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/binoculars/helios/observation_binoculars/apollo_series_85mm_high_resolution_observation_binoculars

It's the exact same spec as the GO Signature 22x85 and will arrive later this week as a belated birthday (today :) ) treat to myself.

I realised not long after I'd started this thread that the head would come with a release plate so that's a no-brainer. As for the extension post, I'll see how the binos fit and make a decision then.

Thanks again for letting me try your GO Signature 15x70 and advice on suitable mounting - much appreciated.

Ian

Hi Ian,

they look just like the Garrett's to me. Good move.The tripod and head will be excellent for the 22x85's.

You saw my birthday present on Sunday(in the box). I gave them a good trial last night. Staggering performance on-axis.

Enjoy,all the best on your birthday.

Argonaut.

Archived