NGC7000

upahill

Critique welcomed, first stack of this many 5 min exposures - close to 5 hours on this one, but need to be more selective with my subs I think.

Basic processing in PixInsight following some tutorials and stacked in DSS

Im getting quite a variance in 'score' when stacking. All subs taken the last few nights during practically full moon which hasn't helped. UHC-S filter on Canon 1200d Modded.

Auto-stretching gives two colours, a very red one and the one below which i prefer.

Autosave004.thumb.jpg.1d14ad3219bbf64f2d3bf8f93f87a04b.jpg

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Much better but still a bit thin on colour to my eye. I might also bring in the black point just a tad. It's good though.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I used the histogram to bring in the black a little which I think looks better as you say - was concerned about the colour alterations as I always find it looks a little too red after.

Autosave005-2.thumb.jpg.af952e537c9c886f7530dc1970bf3260.jpg

10 minutes ago, upahill said:

Thanks Olly, I used the histogram to bring in the black a little which I think looks better as you say - was concerned about the colour alterations as I always find it looks a little too red after.

Autosave005-2.thumb.jpg.af952e537c9c886f7530dc1970bf3260.jpg

As a predominantly Ha emission nebula it is red so I wouldn't worry about that. While I'd be tempted to try one or two further tweaks they'd be in Photoshop rather than PI which I don't know well. Its a fine result 'as is' though.

Olly

Really interested in this. I too recently imaged this with the same camera, but unmodded using CLS clip-in.
Could you tell me what ISO you used please? - I recently found a site that said that (for astro photography) the best ISO was 800 - but could push to 1600 I guess.

Thanks in advance. :)

I used 1600. With dithering the noise was mostly erradicated during stacking anyway, along with the banding which was quite bad in this camera. I had read that the difference in noise between 1600 and 800 was negligible so opted for the higher sensitivity. I have a Baader UHC-S filter in the t-ring.

Archived