NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starter Scope Double Stars

I often read members Observing reports and really enjoy hearing about other scopes and how they perform - I do get a little jealous when the subject of Double Stars comes up though - I realise that this is old news to most of you, but with so many new members asking what their scopes can see and what objects they should go after I thought I would add this link to the Astro League.  It has some great challenges for all scope sizes but does have some great ones for Binocular users - all of which should be well within the capabilities of a smaller starter scope (like my ST80) which many newer members have.

This one is for the Double Stars with Binoculars.  Scroll to the bottom and there are choices of download. Print it off, grab your star atlas and have a go.  Im finding it a great way to learn the sky in more depth and to get everything I can out of my scope. 

https://www.astroleague.org/programs/BinoDS_AppendA

Nice post, thanks.

Your ST80 can be thought of as a starter scope as you seem to suggest. But it has so many advantages that it could be a long term scope as well.  The light tube is fine on a lighter mount so is very ‘grab and go’, a great travel scope that can be easily taken anywhere, no collimation or cooldown issues, what’s not to like ?

Even if in the future you get something larger, your ST80 will still be very useful.

Ed.

Archived