Saturn and the Milky Way

86439978_SaturnandMilkyWay4-5crop.thumb.jpg.6af84cb1e5b0b1878d5e917f0ce97942.jpg

Saturn Among the Stars from Millendreath Beach, near Looe Cornwall.

Unexpectedly clear evening - so just had to take my mount and camera down the road to the beach and photograph Saturn sat in front of our galaxy.

Totally worth the coldness and lugging of heavy gear. Amazing what a lack of light pollution can let you see.

Nikon D300, 70mm lens, f/4.5, ISO1600, 60s exposure. Mount NEQ6 - no polar alignment, tracking.

1 hour ago, davew said:

You carried an NEQ6 down to the beach ?? I have trouble getting my mount into the garden !

What a fantastic result.

Dave.

Getting it down there wasn't too bad, a little painful sure, but OK. Getting back after a few hours of getting tired and colder on the beach meant the slight up hill walk up the road left me with very sore arms! Thankfully the result and coffee afterwards made it totally worth it. Aiming to do a widefield with proper polar alignment on Orion when that gets a bit higher (don't fancy 4am imaging starts!).

Archived