SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is it raining?

hughgilhespie

Hi,

Inching my way towards my automated observatory. I have finally installed the Aurora rain / cloud detector that I bought 4 years ago in a fit of foolish optimism. I have augmented the rain detection with two Hydreon rain detectors that use a different (optical) sensing technology, same as that used for car windscreen wipers.

All three sensors interface with my homebrew Obsy control system. They are basically just using relays that are activated when certain conditions are sensed and my Arduino Mega polls the relays to detect any changes in the conditions.

As yet it is all untested but I have a plan that the Aurora relay will be triggered by 'Very Cloudy' conditions whilst the Hydreon units are set on their most sensitive seetings for rain detection. I had thought of only reacting when both Hydreons are reporting rain but initially I will close the shutter if either of them activates. Again, if the basic system works I will investigate using the 'Condensation' setting on one of the Hydreons. 

Some pics in the lovely, late afternoon Devon sunshine.

Regards, Hugh

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

Archived