Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UHF Receivers for RA

Have been looking for a receiver to upgrade from the SDR (FC Pro+) that I have been using so far for work in the 1-10GHz frequency range. I've seen that many people have recommended the old  ICOM (7000, 7100, 8500, 9000) and AOR receivers that date back to the 1980's but which can still be purchased secondhand. However, it seems that these have generally been run long and hot and require substantial repair/refitting to bring them back into spec. Are there any receivers operating up to 2GHz that are more current or still in production which anyone would recommend?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If I had to buy a modern version of the radios you have quoted for RA, I would save up and go for an IC-R8600 (with latest ICOM firmware update) running in IQ-OUT mode connected to a PC running HDSDR. 5.12MHz bandwidth at 16 bits and 24 bits for all smaller bandwidths. Around £2,500 new so a very serious investment.

I would give the ones you have quoted a miss for RA unless I knew they were all in spec, even then a 9000 could cost £1500+ for a great condition one.  I would expect to have to change the capacitors in many of those radios if they have been used a lot too. Also not having full computer control would frustrate me. SDR is the way to go these days for me at least. 

Archived