Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bigger Barlow??

It has little to do with the scope, and everything to do with your selection of eyepieces. Your Barlow should fill in the blanks between the eps in your collection. If you have a 2x Barlow, and a 10mm ep, it makes little sense to buy a 5mm ep or a 20mm ep. You could instead have a 30mm ep and a7.5mm ep, giving you a selection of 30, 15, 10, 7.5, 5 and 3.75mm with no overlaps. The math is different if you have a 3x or 1.5x Barlow. I have always thought the ideal combination would be eps that double in length, and a 1.5x Barlow. My ep battery is a 24mm, a 7.5, and a 4.3 and a 2x apo Barlow. Do the math. :)

Well, if your present kit is Plossls, I would go with the Celestron 32mm, or any of the name brand 32mm Plossls, as they are all about the same. I keep mine in my kit for an extra ep on dewy nights. It's a good search ep, with a crisp image in either of my scopes. If you are interested in widefield, there are several good choices, but once you get away from Plossls in this length, you are usually looking at a 2" ep.

Archived