Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 electric fault

Bazza333

Hi

I have not used my EQ6 for several years and decided to set it up recently. I powered it on and smoke protruding from inside the mount. I assumed it was the circuit board and removed this but no sign of any damage i.e. burnt areas. Bit reluctant to replace with new circuit board incase same thing happens. Anyone had same problem? 

Can you smell any 'burnt' odour from any part of the board. The smell tends to stay for a long time after the event. It may be an electrolytic capacitor which has 'let go'. They can vent smoke before showing any visible signs of distress. In the absence of a power supply where you can limit the current supplied, I would connect just the input power cable to the board and switch it on with your finger hovering over the off switch. Keep an eye for the smoke emitter which will tell you where the problem is. If there is no sign of a problem, plug in the other connectors to the board one at a time any try powering it each time. Apart from a pinched wire in the mount wiring there isn't much else apart from the board which can cause smoke.

Alan

Archived