Possible bright flare or meteorite to my face

Backyardz99

Thursday evening around 11:20pm CST I was outside and witnessed a sudden and brightening white light, about the magnitude of Venus. It brightened and dimmed over a period of roughly 1.5 seconds. I'm in the Austin TX area, by the way. It was near Canes Venatici, to the left of the Big Dipper. It happened once and then was gone. I checked FlightAware and there were no planes in the area. I could not find a schedule for Iridium flares that had anything close. Could have been non-Iridium. Could have possibly been a meteorite entering the atmosphere and literally headed right for me face? Wondering if anyone else lucked into seeing this as well. Interesting and very, very bright sight. 

Could be a head-on meteor. I have spotted that happening at least four times. Two were certainly point meteors: one a Geminid, and one Quadrantid, easily confirmed as point meteors as they appeared at the radiant of the shower. The other two looked similar and I couldn't find any other explanation.

Archived