Trifid with new Canon70d and IDAS-D2 filter

gonzostar

This is my first photo taken with a 70d.  Very happy with it at moment compared to the 450d. However the trifid is skirting through roofs and tv ariels! So some issues with guiding  

Telescope - 102mm APO ES refractor on a AVX mount

Camera- Canon 70d unmoded iso800 with a IDAS-D2 filter.  Heavily cropped

Duration 100minutes  taken over a couple of nights - 300s lights., Darks, flats and bias frames also taken

Guided with PHD2 and processed in PS

Of course improvement advice much appreciated :) 

Thanks for looking 

Dean

100mins2.thumb.png.296d2244c888e072c37656dc8ad7269a.png

Thanks Wim

Yes it seems to be doing a good job, so long as its not pointing to close to the annoying light source. As you pointed out in a previous post lots, lots more data :) 

Do you think this filter will pick up Ha? With a unmodded camera?

Cheers

Dean

Thanks Hallinskies

Luckily i am about half a mile from the seafront. Because of buildings and lights i am limited to half hour with Trifid. So careful planning needed There ls   LP between the sea and the house,  so do need the filter :( According to Bortle scale my skies are level 5

3 minutes ago, gonzostar said:

According to Bortle scale my skies are level 5

Thought you must be near the sea!  Never too sure about Bortle and his scales - they would have to include negative numbers to encompass my southern horizon?...

2 hours ago, gonzostar said:

Do you think this filter will pick up Ha?

Hopefully not! :grin: (A good filter should let Ha pass through). And this one is designed to let Ha and Oiii pass through.

Generally, all LP filters let Ha, Sii, Oiii, etc pass through, but block sources of light pollution: Na and Hg. How well they block LED light is very much dependent on filter (the new IDAS is designed for this) and LED characteristics.

2 hours ago, gonzostar said:

With a unmodded camera?

That depends entirely on the camera. Some Canons are good at picking up Ha (60D, I believe), some are not so good. It depends both on the sensor and the filter the filter they put in front of it. Modding involves removing the filter, but can't improve the sensor.

I have tried Ha imaging with a Canon 60D, which is quite similar to the 70D, and it definitively picks up some Ha. Here is an example where I used a 12nm Ha clip filter (Astronomik) and a Canon 300mm f/4 lens. 6 x 25 min exposure:

IMG6229-34PS5(HiPass).jpg

36 minutes ago, gorann said:

a Canon 60D, which is quite similar to the 70D, and it definitively picks up some Ha.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the two cameras for Ha, since, on paper, there can be a substantial difference between models of the same brand.

Yes, the 70D and 60D have different CMOS chips so there is possibly a difference, although I doubt it is significant and the filters in front of the chips may be the same. Maybe there is some info on this page:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/577770-which-dslrs-have-the-most-ha-response-un-modded/

The cheapest option is probably to buy an Astronomik clip filter. I bought both a 12 nm and 6 nm one and my recommendation is to go for the cheaper 12 nm filter as so little light goes through the 6nm filter that it is almost impossible to focus the scope (at least using live view). The 12 nm filter is 199 Euro, see:

https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c.html

Okay, I will it it ago on object with Ha

Just for a play around i captured some images around Sadr. Hopefully this may show something?

Obviously my processing skills are not on the same level as you both. 

Cheers 

Dean

Archived