Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help to photograph the heart nebulae!

Hi folks!

I'm just starting my journey in astrophotography and so far I got decent/good result on m51, m101 and m81/82.

My equipment is:

-Telescope: Explore scientific ED80

-Mount: iOptron EQ30 pro

-Camera: Olympus E-M10II

-Guide scope: Orion mini 50mm

-Guide camera: ZWO ASI 120MC

My next project is the heart nebulae, as a gift for my girlfriend. However, I read that it's very difficult to photograph it without a modified camera and without Ha filter. On the other hand, I saw people getting nice photos (for my experience) with the same scope  a me and without a modified camera.

So I would need advice on how to frame the nebulae if I can't see it on my subs and general advice for the shooting (minimum total integration, time of the subs, ISO etc..) 

** I would be happy just to get the shape of the nebulae, the color is a bonus, but would be nice! 

Thank you

To make sure your framing is good, carefully check the fov your setup will have, and then google some pictures of the area. Use the star patterns to carefully frame your target.

Take exposures for as long as you are able without horrible noise or lp issues.

I'd wait until it gets darker and to a decent altitude too, you'll really struggle else.

With a DSLR, I tend to set the ISO on a ridiculously high value and get a 60s or 120s exposure.  If the conditions are good enough you will get something in the FOV, then start to move the image around with 30s exposures until just right  :)

.... if you don't see anything in the murky haze.......then maybe leave it till another night.

2 hours ago, Craney said:

With a DSLR, I tend to set the ISO on a ridiculously high value and get a 60s or 120s exposure.  If the conditions are good enough you will get something in the FOV, then start to move the image around with 30s exposures until just right  :)

.... if you don't see anything in the murky haze.......then maybe leave it till another night.

Thank you, I'll try it! How long do you think I would need to see the shape? 3 hours total or more? 

You'll get the shape with  exposures totalling around 10 - 20 minutes   ( ISO 1600 - 2MINUTE SUBS)  with an 80mm refractor.  (my Equinox 80 is 500mm FL)  under good dark skies.

To actually get the colour out, and create a healthy signal to noise ratio, then maybe you have to collect 1 hour+ of subs.

Checkout this website and put  IC1805  in the search box,  you'll find images with similar kit as yours, and so you can then plan out a strategy to get that APOD result.

https://www.astrobin.com/

Sean.

Archived