M17 Bicolor Vs The Hubble Palette (HaSHO)

Rodd

TOA 130, ASI 1600.  Ha 66 5min, OIII 23 5min.  I think this target would benefit from a wider FOV.  The .7x reducer would be just about perfect. Still trying to figure out how to get a bicolor that has decent two tone representation without white areas.  I have not yet learned how to get a rich blue in my HOO images--except perhaps for the veil Nebula.  Not sure if I will finish this with SII, more OIII (or both), or just leave well enough alone and move on.  

HOO-4bnoise-hist-2.thumb.jpg.e68fb15b69565331b226cfed2f23aa90.jpg

I added Ha as a luminance layer.  I have never regretted adding SII--then again, I like this target in red rather than yellow as is typical with SHO images.

HOO-4bnoise-hist-2-Ha-sharp.thumb.jpg.b5e8b70a4bc8ae219181ef316883cf22.jpg

34 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image. I like the way you brought out that faint "blue smoke" in front of the Ha on the left.

Thanks Wim.  Here is a different take.  Not really processed differently--but a very different result.

2.thumb.jpg.a334f52eaba029e626c8ad57a09c7118.jpg

• Rodd changed the title to M17 Bicolor Vs The Hubble Palette (HaSHO)
8 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Very different with lots of detail in the blue central part. Unfortunately the red halos around the brightest stars are distracting.

Not so much for me....I hardly notice them.  Unless I am pixel peeing of course.  They are all in dark areas.  Even at full resolution I tend to not notice them too much.  I think there are much worse issues with this image.  Trying to figure out why at present.

Rodd

On my small mobile phone screen, the red stands out, even without pixel peeping. But I'll have a look on my computer screen later. I do like the latest bicolor and the bright part of the SHO, though. Never tried nb, so can't advise on how to improve.

48 minutes ago, wimvb said:

On my small mobile phone screen, the red stands out, even without pixel peeping. But I'll have a look on my computer screen later. I do like the latest bicolor and the bright part of the SHO, though. Never tried nb, so can't advise on how to improve.

Here is another version--The red halos are less and the image is less noisy.  Not 100 percent into the palette (too much blue) but I think it is  better image over all.

C2.thumb.jpg.962ebd445c2353b717a11121f2d27920.jpg

Archived