no colour with lrgb

Got the my new asi1600mm pro and had a very short window of grabbing some subs i got 10 luminance shots at 120sec each and quickly took 1 sub of red green blue at 240sec each didn't have time for calibration frames as just wanted to have a quick play around...and for the short time you can see m51 really clear for the amount of time.

so i followed the steps in the book make every photon count and got my lrgb image but no matter how i try i cant get any colour at all its completely mono black and white.. i have asked this question in a reply in a different thread and one reply stated its not enough data...

but i thought maybe 4mins on each colour would show something??

Just one sub will most likely only show noise, unless you can expose for a long time from a really dark site. It is amazing how much better an image gets if you just stack a few subs. Even as few as 4 - 6 subs makes a huge difference, since you can start rejecting ouliers and average out the worst noise.

If you try an LRGB combination where the colour is too weak, you will end up with a very pale, almost mono "colour" image. This is because the L dominates so much.

Something worth trying (and this is my task for this weekend) is to take some daytime images with your camera and filter wheel.  This way you'll have plenty of time to play with settings and see what you need ratio wise.  Then take the seperate images that you took and combine them.  First do the RGB colours together, then add the luminance to bring out the detail.

I'm going to be doing this myself over the weekend so that when I get to take image data I've got the technique sorted out and will be able to do this.

Archived