Lyra and Cygnus 2018-05-11

iPeace

Observing session after midnight on Friday the 11th of May 2018.

Mainly just browsing around. Easy (obvious) doubles, open clusters. No really challenging stuff, so perhaps something for everyone here.

A few sources mention some well-known regions as open clusters; I gave them a go to see whether that knowledge enhanced my observing experience. It didn't, but they are nice bits of sky all the same. So don't mistake my 'ho-hum' comments for lack of enjoyment. :happy11:

6" f/6 newtonian on manual alt-az mount with slow-motion control. Clear, but not wonderful. Terrible LP at this location.

Lyra

A nice, tight region to scan at leisure. Putting some names to faces:

• ** Epsilon Lyrae (Double Double) - 5mm eyepiece for very clear split
  • ** HD 178849 - 24mm EP
  • ** HR 7272 - 24mm EP
  • OC NGC 6791 - 24mm EP. Not much there to be seen, perhaps due to +9.50 magnitude.
  • ** Zeta Lyrae - 24mm EP
  • OC Stephenson 1 - 24mm EP. Apparently, the region around Delta Lyrae is an open cluster. Nice view.
  • OC Iskudarian 1 - 24mm EP. The region between / south of Delta and Zeta. Hm. Might as well call the whole constellation an open cluster. :rolleyes2:
  • PN Messier 57 - 24mm EP. The Ring Nebula. Used 13mm and 7mm to make it stand out a bit more. AV helps.
  • ** Beta Lyrae - 24mm EP.
  • ** HR 7140 - 24mm EP. Can't see the actual companion, but it's a nice pseudo-pair with HD 175634 C with attractive colour contrast gold and blue.

Cygnus

Easy to get lost here, with so much going on that many named targets are difficult to isolate. I most often end up just scrolling around in wonder. Tonight, for once, a focused effort to pin stuff down.

• OC NGC 6910 - 24mm EP. Also known as the Rocking Horse Cluster; a personal favourite.
  • OC Collinder 419 - 24mm EP. Not much to it.
  • ** RS Cygni - 24mm EP. Cool!
  • OC NGC 6871 - 24mm EP. Gave it some time, and it began to grow a personality. Will return.
  • OC Biurakan 2 - 24mm EP. Wouldn't seek it out for its own sake, but fits nicely in FOV with NGC 6871.
  • OC Roslund 5 - 24mm EP. Another starry bit named.
  • OC Messier 29 - 24mm EP. Also known as the Cooling Tower. A favourite, proper asterism.
  • OC Berkeley 86 - 24mm EP. Too many stars around it to confidently pick it out.
  • ** Beta Cygni (Albireo) - 24mm EP. Must see.
  • ** b3 Cygni - 24mm EP. Heads a neat semi-circular asterism.
  • OC NGC 6811 - 24mm EP. Enhanced with a 13mm EP. Fainter than its surroundings, it's a nice delicacy well worth seeking out.
  • PN NGC 6826 (Blinking Planetary Nebula) - 13mm EP. Had fun with this. It actually blinks with AV! Look away to see more. Not a concept easily explained to one's significant other. :p
  • ** 16 Cygni - 24mm EP. Nice.
  • ** Theta Cygni - 24mm EP. Neat little pseudo-asterism with nice colour.
  • ** V2080 Cygni - 24mm EP.
  • ** Omicron Cygni - 24mm EP. Nice colours.
  • OC Messier 39 - 24mm EP. Took me a few attempts to locate this one; didn't really have its "Get Your Cluster Here" sign turned on. Then again, it was past 4 a.m. by then and starting to get light. :confused4:

Archived