SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M16 Bicolor

Rodd

TOA 130, ASI 1600, Astrodon 3nm Ha and OIII filters.  I plan to add SII, but I wanted to see if I could render a decent bicolor.  Usually I have trouble with the palette, and this case is no exception.  Not sure why the blue is so difficult for me to bring out.  I worked hard to tone down the pink, and was only partially successful. I think it could stand additional OIII data, but I don't think that in and of itself will lift the blue.   Still determining exposure times and gain settings.  I stuck with 5 min and unity gain as this is my first narrowband image with the camera and wanted to have a consistent data set.  I still have a long way to go before I am done--another couple of hours of OIII and the SII data--at least a couple weeks time.   Then I can try different exposure times and gain settings.  Ideally, I should reshoot this target with different settings and compare....but I won't feel like shooting the same thing again.  

Ha: 49 5min gain: unity

OIII: 25 5min  gain: unity.

Bicolor-5b-curv-TGV-stars.thumb.jpg.c34073d1593443ea662a79f703a3c8f5.jpg

Lovely detail in there.

Myself, I wouldn't worry too much at not having a strong blue in there, it is, afterall a HII region.

Having said all that M16 has always been too low on my horizon for me to image.

1 minute ago, moise212 said:

Now this is excellent. Do you still see the noise? :)

Thank Alex.  Narrowband has always been much cleaner for me with the STT-8300, and so far this camera holds that same pattern.  There is some chroma issues in this image if you zoom way in--but I think that is due to processing problems--I usually have trouble with bicolor images.  When the SII is added I expect that to improve.

Rodd

5 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Lovely detail in there.

Myself, I wouldn't worry too much at not having a strong blue in there, it is, afterall a HII region.

Having said all that M16 has always been too low on my horizon for me to image.

Thanks Dave.  M16 is pretty low for me too--never gets higher than about 32 degrees.  I can only image it a few hours a night due to a stand of pine trees.  This is the time! M8 and M20 are even lower.  And I really want to go for those.

Rodd

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thank Alex.  Narrowband has always been much cleaner for me with the STT-8300, and so far this camera holds that same pattern.  There is some chroma issues in this image if you zoom way in--but I think that is due to processing problems--I usually have trouble with bicolor images.  When the SII is added I expect that to improve.

Rodd

You've something burned around the pillars and some ringing artefacts, perhaps bring the black point higher when deringing in deconv?!

1 minute ago, moise212 said:

You've something burned around the pillars and some ringing artefacts, perhaps bring the black point higher when deringing in deconv?!

I don't see the thing around the pillars--some stars do have blue rings--that's due to my processing skills.  When I add the SII that will go away.

Rodd

3 minutes ago, moise212 said:

This is how it looks on my screen:

m16_rodd.png

Now I see it on the first too--but much less and visible only when zooming.  darn it--back to the drawing board...AGAIN!!

34 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Same here

I corrected the burn out--those features are real--I had just clipped the signal in their domains.  Again, palette is questionable.  Thanks for spotting that.

Bicolor-6b.thumb.jpg.950f93e7de9a34ea29fb1e4566e6ab4c.jpg

Archived