NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

D70 imaging..

I've taken it pretty slowly so far with imaging.. just ToUcam stuff on planets and a couple of moon shots through the Meade lx20010", but would like to try my hand at some D70 stuff with a 200mm lens (large DSOs etc). I would mount it on an lx200 and guide either manually or with DSI. I hear that PHD is good..

Any advice on controlling a D70 remotely - don't want to stand there with the IR control pressing it every 30 seconds.. can I run one through the USB cable the camera came with? Ideas for software welcome.. :undecided:

Cheers

philip

Hi Phil,

Nikon Capture can fire the cameras remotely but the max shutter durasion is only 30s over USB. there are other devices that mimic the nikon IR remote but can be connected to the computer.

Im not really sure but doesn't the IR remote allow you to hold the shutter open for long periods in bulb mode by using one press to open the shutter and a second one to close it?

There isn't as much software out there for Nikons as there is for Canons - I Use A D200 for general photography and also used to use it for astro work until recently when I changed over to a Canon 350D and modded it myself initially because of the software support for it but the better performance is a bonus.

I'll have a trawl later and see what I can find...

Billy...

I have used some of their other products and have to say they are very good...with good support and reply promptly to e-mails etc

I'm not sure if you can get round the 30s USB limit with it but no harm in asking obviously if you can then its a very cost effective way of doing it :undecided:

Billy...

I had a Nikon D70 bulb control is difficult but for windows XP ImagesPlus will automate Nikons via USB, you may have to buy a device as mentioned earlier - look on the ImagesPlus site. IP costs £120 . IP will take care of all your DSLR processing needs including automated calibration.

http://www.mlunsold.com/ILCameraControl.html

Archived