NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guiding problem (again)

bazza

My system is a LX200R OTA with a piggybacked WO Zenithstar 80IIED for guiding on a Losmandy G11.

Using SXV-H9 and guidehead.

Guiding in Maxim DL V5.

Normally on a target, I can get sub 0.3 pixel guiding - then unexpectedly, the X (RA) will shoot off, either neg or Pos up to 6 pixels.

It then works it way down again to resume 'normal service' - this is very frustrating, when it's happened, you can see the star in track box has moved.

It's almost as if the mount had a large input of movement for no reason.

Probably happens once every 10 mins or so, but not a consistant time for it to occur.

Any ideas anyone please?

Barry.

Sounds like a mount problem, either backlash in the worm endfloat or the mesh setting. What could be happening is that the 'scope is slightly unbalanced and drops into the bit of clearance between the mechanical bits. If its very close to being balanced it won't do it all the time. Imagine pushing a car down hill, every now and again the hill is steep enough that the car goes by itself, then on a less steep bit it waits for you to catch it up.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Well Kaptain - I hope and pray you're right - Because I've just checked the balance and it wasn't pulling against the drive enough - I've increased the weight on the weights side (imaging in east) so it's slightly heavier and tries to pull the scope back.

Fingers crossed for tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Barry.

Archived