Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CS guide camera to OAG adapter

almcl

I have acquired a Canon specific OAG.  It has the Canon bayonet on the rear face and a T2 thread into which my SW Coma corrector goes.

The flange for attaching the guide camera is also T2 (male) and this has an unfortunate consequence: it is impossible to fit or remove the OAG from the Canon without first removing said flange.  This destroys the guide camera focus as well as being particularly fiddly as it requires a 2mm Allen key on 3 black grub screws buried under black anodised components in the dark.

It occurs to me that if I could find a flange plate that is CS thread sized (my guide camera is a QHY5Lii) this problem could be overcome.  Unfortunately such a thing doesn't appear to exist or at least Zoltan at 365 Astronomy, who supplied me with a CS/T2 adapter, hasn't managed to come up with one.

So next choice is to have one made.  Somebody posted about an engineering concern that they had used to have small parts made, but, although I have searched I can't now find the post.

I have also tried creating the part in Sketchup with a view to getting one of the commercial concerns to print one, but as I haven't yet mastered creating the CS thread (1-32 UN 2A ANSI B1.1) on the outside of the flange and have reservations about how accurate the 3D print would be, haven't ventured down this route so far.

In case anyone is still reading, I would welcome suggestions on how to achieve something like the part shown below by whatever means.

Canon specific OAG.jpg

the problem.jpg

possible solution.jpg

My adapter design v2.jpg

Archived