Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Polaris 90 EQ vs Celestron AstroMaster 90 EQ

Both similar scopes, the Meade is a 900mm focal length and the Celestron is 1000mm. The Meade is slightly cheaper. Both have motor drives available for the mounts.

How do both compare in planetary and lunar views? I would assume the Celestron would be better at higher magnifications, but is a slightly longer and more awkward tube.

How do their mounts handle the weight and length of each scope? Does either of the mounts seem over burdened?

In principle the Celestron should have the edge optically, given it's slightly slower speed. The mount seems to be a slightly sturdier version of the EQ2, whereas the Meade has a more-or-less bog standard EQ2 mount. Of the two, I would say the Celestron will have a slight edge. EQ2 mounts should be able to handle these scopes reasonably well for visual observing, although an EQ3-2 would be a lot better (and more expensive). I would think your XT8 would hit both scopes for six on planetary and lunar views, however.

12 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

In principle the Celestron should have the edge optically, given it's slightly slower speed. The mount seems to be a slightly sturdier version of the EQ2, whereas the Meade has a more-or-less bog standard EQ2 mount. Of the two, I would say the Celestron will have a slight edge. EQ2 mounts should be able to handle these scopes reasonably well for visual observing, although an EQ3-2 would be a lot better (and more expensive). I would think your XT8 would hit both scopes for six on planetary and lunar views, however.

Maybe I would be still better off with a ETX 80 then, because these 90mm refractors won't do what I want with planets, so I may as well get a scope that can find DSOs.

Archived