Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Awesome Orion

Neon

Just got back from an excellent holiday down in (relatively) sunny Cornwall, on the South coast in a place called Kingsand.

My little scope certainly paid for itself during the week; battleship spotting by day and astronomy by night. I saw everything from submarines to Jupiter, but the icing on the cake was the Orion Nebula.

I was actually viewing out of the cottage window (long story) but the detail and brightness of Orion was stunning. Looking across the bay with almost zero light pollution was probably the key, but I've never had such a good view of the nebula. I probably sat there for about 30 minutes drinking in the view through my 80mm.

This morning at around 5:30 I had a look at Orion from by back garden, but compared to the skies in Cornwall, it was disappointing. It was a visibly fainter image and the loss of detail was obvious.

My conclusion is that it's not so much a new telescope that I need, but a new house with dark skies! Doubt that the wife will agree to that though. :)

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good. As a newbie and living not so far from Kingsand, I'm very much looking forward to my first look at Orion. I'd guess that the moon's too bright at the moment - not worth staying up for. Looking at Stellarium, maybe around the 25th will be good and dark!

David

Sounds good. As a newbie and living not so far from Kingsand, I'm very much looking forward to my first look at Orion. I'd guess that the moon's too bright at the moment - not worth staying up for. Looking at Stellarium, maybe around the 25th will be good and dark!

Hi David,

Your scope isn't that much dissimilar to mine, so you'll certainly get an eyeful looking at Orion. In fact I'd planned to go to Rames Head and do some observing from there, next to the chapel, but it was so windy the day I chose I was worried about ending up in the sea! The cottage was warmer and safer.

If you don't want to wait and fancy an early start you could get up early (5am early) and check out Orion then. Set your scope up, get up next morning and put it outside, have some breakfast as it cools down and then check out Orion with a mug of hot coffee for company.

It's a great sight, especially in your neck of the woods. And it'll give you an excuse for a nap in the afternoon :)

And narrowbandpaul; I had no idea how much of a difference dark skies make!

Mark

Hi Mark, I didn't see your post until after I'd been woken at 5 AM by the dog. Yep, got a great look at Orion - and Saturn. I did ended up falling asleep mid afternoon too! All good advice, cheers.

Hmm, not sure I fancy the climb up to the Rame Head chapel on a dark, windy night, with gear either!

Archived