SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

These Days, Out By Day As Well As Night!

cloudsweeper

Not much in the world of solar I know, but until I take it to the next level, simple sessions like this are quite enjoyable.

12.50pm - Sun high, sky very clear, so went for another look at Sol.  Baader filter tested against a strong light - fine.  Set up the ST120, and found the Sun by the shadow of the tube.

x14, 20, 25 - just a white disc until focusing made three sunspots pop out to the NW, near the limb.  There was minimal yellow fringing and shimmering of the limb.

x75, 100 - image just about filled the FOV, but the sunspots were less clear on account of the seeing.

x50, 60 - optimal viewing, nice framing, more shimmering (of course), sunspots clearer.  The solar continuum filter turned everything green, but showed paleness immediately around the spots, and even a hint of the faculae (spidery lighter areas) which populate the disc and concentrate around sunspot groups.  

A pleasing and different astro session of just 35 minutes.  (For me, the glare can get uncomfortable over much longer.)

I'm hoping to move on to H-alpha viewing some time, but perhaps this report might fire up enthusiasm in anyone who has yet to view our own star.  (BUT BE SURE TO USE SUITABLE FILTERING!)

Doug.

P1060205.JPG

Very nice. I've just started this myself and I love it. (My balcony is a bit of an uncomfortable sun trap, though). I love it when there appears to be nothing and then I suddenly see something. Today was the best I've seen so far. I'm surprised just how much fun white light viewing can be.

45 minutes ago, domstar said:

Very nice. I've just started this myself and I love it. (My balcony is a bit of an uncomfortable sun trap, though). I love it when there appears to be nothing and then I suddenly see something. Today was the best I've seen so far. I'm surprised just how much fun white light viewing can be.

Thanks Dom.  I was pleased to see faculae, and now I have a taste for more.  Just need to figure out the differences between a PST and a Quark, and where solar EPs fit into all this.  One thing's for sure - it'll cost a lot!

Had a brief session early this morning with the frac.  Very nice, but only managed a few clusters.  I'm looking forward to receiving the replacement GPS unit so I can get the 8SE back in action.  (Could do it manually, of course, but I've got lazy.)

Doug.

Your frac seems well suited to the best of all clusters- the Virgo super-cluster. Have you given it a go? Once you've found the first one, your wide field would just let you move from one to the next.

20 minutes ago, domstar said:

Your frac seems well suited to the best of all clusters- the Virgo super-cluster. Have you given it a go? Once you've found the first one, your wide field would just let you move from one to the next.

Yeah, I've managed a lot of those, but the frac doesn't do so well with the local LP.  Bring on the 10" Dob!

Doug.

Archived