Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

camera orientation and "hatching" on guidecam - 2 challenges

I have been looking at how things work on my new setup during the day, before trying to get everything working after dark, with loads of kids providing an audience. Two issues have presented themselves.

(1) When the 224 camera is attached to the fw/oag it ends up in a 8/2 position, rather than a 'flat' 9/3 position (the camera produces images orientated as you would expect when the cables are at the 'top'). I can see four options here:
(i) Leave it as it is - which will produce images that have a weird orientation rather than being RA/Dec aligned?
(ii) I can rotate the whole setup by means of the scope focusser so the camera is now oriented correctly, which will leave the guidecam pointing at the 2 o/c position rather than at the 12 o/c position - will this cause problems with the guiding?
(iii) Add a 1.2mm declan ring between the fw/oag and the camera, which will have both cameras oriented correctly, but will alter the relative distances to the guide cam and main camera putting out the parfocal attributes of the system?
(iv) Something I haven't thought of.

Thoughts/comments on the best strategy?

(2) The guidecam image in PHD2 is producing a nice (*NOT*) hatched pattern of squares. I guess(!) this is not the desired result and will not improve my guiding any. The same pattern is there when I add the BPM map to the mix. Probably something to do with the matrix of pixels on the guidecam (QHY5Lii)? No idea how this can be resolved, but I'm sure others use this camera for guiding, so hopefully someone has encounterd and (more importantly) solved this problem.

Again, thoughts/comments on the best strategy?

Thanks.

guidecam.png

setup.jpg

I don't know what that gingham tablecloth pattern is all about but are we looking at the full chip here? I guess it's a problem in your capture software. For sure, there will be a QHY usergroup.

You don't want to be imaging at random angles because it makes coming back to a target in the future a real nightmare.  Being at an angle to RA and Dec shouldn't trouble PHD2.

Olly

Archived