March 18, 2018: Deep Sky session with SN hunt

Decided not to image, but to focus on deep sky observing this clear but bitterly cold evening. I first tried to hunt down SN2018yu, a magnitude 13.9 supernova in NGC 1888 in Lepus, right under Orion's feet. I did manage to spot the galaxy in averted vision as an elongated blotch, but the SN eluded me. The low altitude can't have helped. Magnitude 13.9 is close to the limit of the scope anyway. Still, a new galaxy bagged, adding one to the Herschel 2500 total as well. I then had a brief look at M42, simply because it was so close, and is a magnificent sight, even after 38 years since I first sketched it with my then new 6" F/8 Newtonian. I then decided to go after SN2018zd  in NGC 2146, in Camelopardalis, which was nearly overhead, and brighter than SN2018yu. Navigating this close to Polaris (Dec= 78 deg and a bit) is always tricky with an EQ mount, and I had some difficulties finding the galaxy again. Once the right location had been found, I had little difficulty finding the galaxy, and after some time I did spot the occasional twinkle of light in roughly the right location. I consulted my AAVSO chart, and could find no star in the observed location, only the + marking the location of the SN. I repeated the observation three times, and each time could spot the faintest twinkle of light on the edge of the galaxy, right where the SN should be. Averted vision was certainly needed for this mag 13.6 object. That counts as bagged for me.

To round off the session I swung the scope over to Leo, where I first picked up NGC 2903, a great favourite of mine, and then went to M65 and M66. Not the most prolific session, but pleased to have bagged one new galaxy and one more supernova.

5 hours ago, Hayduke27 said:

This sounds like a great evening out!  What size scope are you using to chase down those supernovae?  I have never seen one, would be keen on trying someday.  Thanks for the report.

I use my trusty Celestron C8, although the brightest supernova I have ever seen could be spotted with 15x70 binoculars. 

Archived