NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tracer LiFePO charging while using

My last session out lasted from about 8pm to 6am and my Tracer 12ah LiFePO4 is powering EQ5 mount, guide scope dew strap via dew controller and a Startech USB hub which in turn powers the ZWO guide camera. It was fully charged to begin with but got down to 1 red bar just before the end of the session. I thought about running an extension lead from the house to the charger and quickly plugging it in but was unsure if this would damage the battery. I emailed Tracer to ask if it was safe to do so and got a response:

"Thank you for your email. It is ok to charge the battery while in use, yes.

If the output current is larger than the charger's power, then you will still find the battery runs flat. However, I don't think this will happen with your 12Ah battery on a telescope mount, as the running power is occasional and quite light."

Just thought I'd put this up here as it's handy to know.

Obviously, we all know the dangers of running 240v outside. Personally, if I have to, I cover the extension with a plastic bag to keep it dry.

Archived