NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on obey wall height please

Max N

The problem with an unexpected shower that you initially described could be fixed with a tarpaulin - no need to take your rig down. But obviously an obsy is a nice long term solution and I had the same problem as you (and everyone) when deciding on wall hights. My solution was to make the walls just high enough so I could stand inside and then if that blocked too much of the horizon I could aways extend the pier. I built a split obsy with half of it being a warm room (totally about 2.5 x 5 m, so 2.5 x 2.5 m for the scope area). Really handy and cosy with a warm room. The problm then is of course that you at least need to be able to stand up in the warm half. I solved that building up the floor a bit higher in the obsy half. But a lot of thinking and guessing went into it and it is all about compromises. My roof is sliding off to the south since up here at 60°N I would not get much chances of imaging the Orion area if the high wall (towards the warm room) was to the south.

Observatory1  20140817small.jpg

Observatory2 20150314small.jpg

Observatory3 20140817small.jpg

Observatory4 20150314small.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been having a play in Sktechup using some of the ideas suggested in this thread. I haven't designed the roof section yet. The high walls face north. The scope is shown in two positions, pointing to Polaris and pointing low to the south. I have pretty good views south but there is a hedge and a hill so I'm not losing anything with the walls where they are shown. I have room to roll the roof far enough away so that it will not be in the way (I think). I must remember to put a door in......

5aafdf209f245_observatorysketch.jpeg.74edb4143abbddb891a632671d8ea1a1.jpeg

Archived