SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice sought - filters for planetary imaging

Stub Mandrel

I'm getting myself prepared for a planetary summer. I may invest in an ADC, but for now I have got a mono camera and a five position filter wheel.

I have basic broad band RGBY filters (primarily meant for visual, I suspect) and I have ordered a deep red (Wratten 29) filter. I also have a moon/skyglow I think will be of little use, a 'greener' (but not denser) filter and a redundant IR block filter (the camera has one fitted).

Without spending a fortune, what would be the best selection of filters to fill the five slots in the wheel (for Mars, Jupiter and Saturn)?

OK, I have got:

• Wratten #29, dark red - recommended for planetary imaging, also used for colour separation with #47 and #61 as it picks up a lot of IR.
  • Wratten #47, blue - a deep, almost violet blue.
  • Wratten 58 , green - a strong green used for colour separation (I couldn't get a #61 in 1.25").

If I stack all three of my 'visual' RGB filters, I can still see a (dark) image. Stacking any two of these three filters give very little transmission at all, which suggests they have 'square' non-overlapping passbands.

This should let me do RGB and near IR.

My inclination is to put an IR block in one location for 'broadband mono'.

So, does anyone want to suggest what shoudl go in the fifth slot?

Archived