Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clipping shadows and over-saturation

Ken Mitchell

I've seen a lot of astro photographs on fora and social media where the blacks are seriously clipped and colors are too saturated.  

When I make a comment to the author of the photograph on that, they say that they don't see that on their screen. So I get a bit confused, is there a problem with my screen or calibration or artifacts because of the upload maybe? Yet I'm not seeing these clippings when I upload my images.

Is it something that is normally done in AP? I can't seem to find any discussion on this.

A quick search and I came up with these images.

Do some of you also see this clipped shadows on their screen or is it just me?

Ken

1.jpg

2.jpg

I see it, but it's possible that some people's screens are poorly calibrated, of generally poor quality (i.e. backlight bleed) or the sun is shining on it so the blacks look like grey.

Sometimes black clipping cannot be avoided in the case of strong gradients (like in the first image where it looks like flats weren't used.)

Though, not everyone knows much about monitors, or has enough money to invest in a new one. I wouldn't judge too harshly.

Archived