NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A non-articulating DSLR screen neck ache solution for Canon etc

itsob

Me likee. My Nikon doesn't have the articulating rear screen and it's a real PITA when trying to focus on an overhead object. I'll use a diagonal to make it easier, but it sometimes makes the light path too long. I have an HDMI cord for my camera so I could use a computer as a monitor, but this would be so much easier, I can just Velcro this screen to my tripod. At 800x480 screen resolution, I wonder if the resolution is good enough for a sharp focus?

I think it would be, Ive used a number of such small 'field monitors' and as long as they're over 800x480 (the one I mention is) they do fine - even better if you have a zoom feature on your camera. You'll get focus at least as good as that offered by the cameras on-board screen. Ive nailed ultra-sharp focus on landscapes & wildlife etc regularly using such.

Battery drain is minimal, especially since you'll probably have the screen brightness decreased anyway. Should easily last for a long session  of 3 -6 hrs.

Suitable Li on battery: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Durable-Rechargeable-Portable-Li-ion-Battery-DC-12V-4800mAh-EU-Plug/401065495516?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49895%26meid%3D3d931c74a20948ac9ebf6e073febe582%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322519659864%26itm%3D401065495516&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Yes, another good solution also. Android only, requiring a USB tether to your camera.

I use it and another option (QDSLR - free) on occasion

You can use a rechargeable portable wireless router located on the camera and do away with the cable  USB tether but will cost - £50 + and can be a little patchy if you stray more than a few yards.

But so long as you're able to set it up it works well.

It will also provide additional controls for your DSLR and its important to be sure to have a fully charged device & keep an eye on battery levels.

It can get interrupted by incoming calls, texts etc so best to use a tablet.

A very usable monitor & control tool (if that's what you want) once you master the learning curve.

Not as simple and direct as a little HDMI monitor, requires a bit of fuss & ties up your phone (unless you use a tablet) - but can be a great tool.

Personally, I prefer the simple & direct approach - less fuss, less to go wrong, does all I need most of the time.

Archived