Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help deciding between c8 and c6, portability is a primary concern

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:12, David Veliath said:

I am primarily interested in visual observing of DSOs, and want a high FOV scope. However, the SCT while having narrower field of view, is much more compact. That is why I was interested in the SCT. Anyways, my dad took an executive decision and decided to book the C6 as well as the GSO mount. He said we could consider a refractor as a second scope once I somewhat learned the skies with the C6. Most people say its good. He didn't want to buy head and tripod separately..

Anyways, while mounting the C6 on the GSO mount, will it be difficult to use the focuser? I might be trying a red dot finder. Should I consider using rings? I am still not quite sure on how to use rings and stuff.

I also need help with eyepieces..

I was considering a Zhumell 8-24mm zoom and I need suggestions on a good 32mm eyepiece. Does GSO make good eyepieces? Is the celestron omni series good? Also I will be getting a 6.3 FR.

I don't expect that the focuser will be difficult to use, so long as you can reach it.

Finder - just use what works best for you. There may be room on the C6 for a red dot and a small optical finder. RACI finders are better but more expensive. Illuminated crosshairs are good but again - more cost.

A SCT is not fussy about eyepieces - Plossls like the Celestron Omni series are good enough unless money is burning a hole in your pocket.:happy11:

Zhumell 8-24 mm zoom - I believe this eyepiece is one of a number of eyepieces, all essentially the same, sold under a variety of brand names at an attractive price. I have one branded 'Starguider'.  The optical performance is quite good BUT it will not be much use to you at 24mm as the FOV is small at that setting, and it won't be much use either at 8mm as objects will move swiftly out of the FOV with a manual alt-az mount.  And you may find that you need to hold it under a light and grip it firmly to adjust the focal length.

I expect the GSO eyepieces are good enough for their price, but you can afford to stick with the Celestron brand.

The OTA should come with a fitted dovetail bar. You should not need rings for an alt-az mount, and trying to convert to rings is not advised.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, I said focuser may be difficult to use but I meant finder :p

Anyways, I'm probably going to start a separate thread asking for help on eyepieces.

What kind of carrying case should I buy? Most cases custom built for telescopes are super expensive.. should I go DIY? I don't have too much experience with that sort of thing..

Thanks again!

Hi again David.

I use one of these --->https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/aluminium-flight-case-with-trolley-440x300x220mm.html - the only downsides are...

1. the C6/SCT just fits. You may/or will need a camera/photography case for your eyepieces and accessories.
  2. the wheels are small... so not ideal on grass or uneven surface.

Archived