Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 handset help

peeceeTal2M

The handset on my HEQ5 has developed a fault, to be more specific I think it's the switch that controls the slewing speed, everything works fine at 2x and 8x, but when switched to 16x no slewing. The green led turns to red and there is a click from the motors but they dont slew, this happens in both RA and DEC in all directions, the power cable is a heavy duty one from Astronomiser so its not that and i'm using a fully charged battery(in good condition). Any ideas how to test if the switch is faulty? or where to get a replacement or would it be possible to change the two switches over so the faulty one works the north off south. :smiley::bino2::p:)

Phill

The green led on the handset turns to red and there is a click from the motors but they dont turn, this happens in both RA and DEC in both directions, i've tried switching the hemisphere switch to south but the same thing happens, the motors will turn at 2x and 8x but just a click sound when turned to 16x. :smiley::bino2:

I'm afraid not lightbucket, however on taking the cover off the mount this morning it appears that the mount is slewing when set at 16x but at 2x or possibly slower speeds so i'm guessing a resistor or capacitor has burnt out somewhere, but don't know enough about circuts to go messing around without a circut diagram. :smiley:

Hi, I noticed this in Roosters sig.

"...if anyone wants help with electronics, or even any circuits building - I am quite "au fait" as they say !"

Give him a shout, he should be able to talk you through what you can and can't do with regard to testing the circuits.

I dont know - are you uisre it is only moving at x2 when its set for 16.

Mine tends toi whirr a bit on x2 and x8 - when I push x16 it does click and then shuts up. When I firts had it it seemed as if the mount may be not working but in fact it is - it just click when you press for 16 is all. No idea why.

If I peel the rubber bungs that cover the motor spindles off I can see the spindles turning at the correct speeds.

Dont want to teach you to suck eggs but is it possible it is actually running at the correct speed ? I know when I firts had mine I was sure it wasn't as it was so quiet at x16.

I feel a total idiot :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: , my "faulty" mount is now sorted thanks to Rooster and Astro_Baby. It appears to have been an excess of "sticky" grease along with almost totally quiet running motors at 16x that led me to think it wasn't slewing. Now I've re-greased everything it's all running sweet as a nut :bino2: . I guess i should have thought of this myself instead of assuming i had a problem :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: .

Thanks guys :smiley:

No worries peece - it caught me out as well when mine was new. the 2x and x8 make a definite whirr when they are running. Its not loud and you have to be close tothe mount to hear anything but at x2 or x8 there is a definite quiet brrrrrr/hummmmm sound inside. At x16 mine makes a quiet click and then shuts up - with it slewing at x16 its so silent you cant hear a thing even with your head next to the motor housing.

To me that seems very counter intuitive but I had the same thing as you and in the end took off the motor cover and timed their revs to see if they were in fact working correctly and they were DOH!!!

Anyway glad its fixed for you.

Archived